Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Binge Drinking and Saturday Night

Having spent last Saturday evaluating my "progress" as a teacher ("I didn't check instructions well at the begining of the course... and I... erm... still don't") that all important time of the day came along when all one has to do is turn up at their friend's flat and have them cook you dinner and serve you wine. I finally managed to try Mole, which Luis kindly prepared with shredded chicken and enchiladas and I kindly scoffed having quickly attempted a terrible photo (yes, that's the dark blur on the left). Either way it was absolutely delicious - rich, spicy and chocolatey.
This was then rounded off with more chocolate in the form of Kelsey's birthday cake which was accompanied by both the English Happy Birthday tune and the Mexican Anthem (seriously, 'God Save the Queen' is shorter).
We then finally made it to a salsa club which was a lot of fun although, being English and totally uncoordinated salsa dancing really just means jerking about and waking up the next day feeling like you have dislocated your hip. However I'd do it again so it can't be that bad.
And today I had my last and most interesting class ever which I was able to design by myself. I chose Teenage Binge Drinking in Britain and, while many a comment was made (including my tutor's "if you need some realia - you can just point at yourself" - ha. ha.) I really enjoyed the discussion at the end of the lesson. Most of my Mexican class found the concept of alcopops totally foreign and had some really insightful views as to the role of the family for young people. So while this week (and weekend) could get better in some ways, in many others it's going great.

No comments: