Friday, November 14, 2008

Last Week (of the 3rd November)

I don't know if anyone heard about this over in the UK but on the 4th November there was a jet plane crash in Polanco which killed 13 people including Maurino (an important government minister and potential Mexican president) amongst other ministers. What is most suspicious is that those on the jet were most invloved in the action against the drug cartels who are unforunately powerful in Mexico.
It was a very strange experience as I was teaching a class about Guy Fawkes Day at the time and as my students were asking me why we celebrate treason which never actually happened they started recieving calls about the crash (many people work in Polanco, including myself and my students).
The crash is still under investigation (by British experts none the less) so no one knows for sure how or why it happened.
If you are interested this is the info the bbc had; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7709877.stm

You may have noticed that the accident occured on 4th November and so in Mexico Obama only made the 2nd page of all the broadsheet newspapers. I went to the "English" (ahem) pub to watch the results. The place was full of excited Americans all supporting Obama and taking another shot of tequilla for each state that went blue. It was clearly the Gringo place to be as it was even reported in the expat newspaper here (http://www.thenews.com.mx/home/imprime_home.asp?cve_edicion_cont=296&cve_home=590) and one of my good friends (American wife of my Mexican friend Luis) was interviewed for the national news.

Finally, after such an eventful week, it was nice to have a reasonably relaxed weekend. On the Saturday I went to Zoe's new flat for dinner and an Ugly Betty binge (she has been downloading the new series with her fancy high speed internet... grr...) and then for drinks al depa de Luis y Jenne.
On Sunday we walked to the Museo Tamayo, a modern art gallery here. I really enjoyed the well chosen exhibitions which focused on the Mexican/North American history and politics.

No comments: